Plastic Water Bottles Contain 240,000 Pieces Of Cancer-causing Nanoplastics – Study Reveals

Recent studies carried out by the University of Columbia reveal shocking levels of micro plastic particles in easily available bottled water brands sold across America.

With the latest laser scanning methods, researchers found out an average of 24000 plastic particles in a bottle – one liter which has brought health fears to people.

The research revealed a marked difference between bottled water and tap water containing 5.5 plastic particles per liter in tap water . These tiny pieces of matter, the so-called nanoplastics contain phthalate chemicals that make plastics more durable and flexible.

This phthalate exposure has been shown to cause serious health problems, and is the reason behind some 100. According to the National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences, these chemicals interfere with hormone production and lead to developmental, reproductive, brain, immune and other problems.

Nanoplastics have already been linked to cancer, fertility problems, and birth defects.

In the given study, scientists used Stimulated Raman Scattering (SRS) microscopy, a novel method showing that nanoparticles represent 90% of the molecules in these bottles and leaves 10% to be microplastics. PET was a common plastic of bottles, and researchers believe that it finds its way to the water through squeezing or contact with heat.

There was also a high level of polyamide, another form of nylon that could have been from plastic filters used in the water purification process before bottling. Other plastic types identified were polystyrene, polyvinyl chloride (PVC) and polymethyl methacrylate which is widely used in diverse industrial processes.

There are cause for huge concerns it raises about the health risk associated to consuming water contaminated by plastics and this will become a global initiative that should investigate whether nanoplastics can have a harmful effect or not.

Leave a Comment Here

Please Follow Us On Our Social Media Pages

728FansLike
0FollowersFollow